Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 12: Ex-pats & Fried Bread

This is one of a series of entries from my travel journal chronicling my recent trip to Europe. You can click here for the archived entries.

Day 11 | Day 12

England photo gallery here.

14 Alma Place, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK 17/06/08

Jeff and I arrived at the place he splits with Josh in Oxford (although he now spends most of his time in Cambridge) around midnight last night. It took us about an hour and a half to drive our rented Ford Fiesta out here from Luton Airport. We were bushed last night and crashed immediately.

This morning we went to the Tick Tock Café down the street a ways. It was fairly standard greasy spoon fare. I had a typical heart attack breakfast with the curious English addition of fried bread. If deep-fried white bread sounds like an oil-drenched, bland, unpleasant, and entirely unnecessary experience to you, then you're right on the money. On the walk back from breakfast we heard a bell ringing and lo and behold, there was our friend Jules on his bike (yet another American ex-pat in Oxford. It's all the rage these days. Jules knew Jeff from Cambridge, MA). I guess Oxford's a small place, being that I ran into the only other person I knew here from the States within an hour of waking up this morning. Unfortunately Josh is in the States now, ironically enough, so I won't get to see him here. But it does mean I have his bed to sleep in rather than this grim couch I'm currently sitting on, so that's nice.




0 comments: