Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Bonjour!

Last week I was contacted by a potential client based in Québec. She was a native Québecoise, and although she didn't know my name before she called, she learned it through an email I sent her afterward. When we spoke this morning, she answered with a lovely, "Bonjour!" I greeted her in kind, and she mentioned how she thought she should have perhaps answered in English, because she saw the area code from which I was calling. I made some joke about retaining a modicum of high school French, and she commented on my heritage: "Rhéaume - that's a very Québecois name!" Hearing her pronounce my name was awesome. Pretty much the only time I've ever heard it pronounced correctly off the bat - and it was perfect, not just "ray-OME" but also with the initial guttural French "r" sound that even I have trouble with.

It almost makes up for twenty years of surname butchery.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean your name doesn't rhyme with broom? Shit, what've I been doing all these years...