Friday, April 3, 2009

I Was a Poet Once

Because I mentioned it.

"Ode to Hash"

Ere the break of dawn we came
Upon a place so warm and cheery.
Fort Lou's was this restaurant's name
A beacon in a night so dreary.

Embattled and inebriated
Grouped together with ravenous lust
The waitress was not castigated
In her greasy fare we placed our trust.

To each of us was given one
Of the menus; quite comprehensive.
They foretold gustatory fun
So many foods; we were right pensive.

For her, some eggs; for him, some bacon.
I sat and pondered my digestive fate.
Thank goodness we did not bring Sakin,
His company is not that great.

At last, my eyes did set upon
A glorious dish which I could eat.
Hold on a minute; I must visit the John
And sit upon that porcelain seat.

Back to the table I came with speed,
Still fumbling with my beltlike sash.
No longer could I postpone my need;
I ordered up Poached Eggs and Hash!

Awaiting the arrival of said vittles,
Fraught with anguish I became.
Where is my food? I can't dine on Skittles-
Oh wait...Praise God! It finally came!

Before me the waitress set a mountain
Of provender of regal state.
From my eyes there gushed a fountain;
Tears of joy for such a plate!

Imagine, resting on a platter,
An enormous mound of gourmet hash.
Although such grub doth make me fatter,
Remove it and I'll give you the lash!

Upon the meat (onions mixed in)
Were set two orbs of perfect form.
Twin eggs poached - what esculent sin!
Such late-night victuals are hardly the norm.

Poached eggs are the best compliment
To a hash: hearty, beefy and bold.
A gourmand's favorite aliment,
Its gastric appeal never grows old.

One taste of this edible bliss
Surpasses even a petit mort
I would forego a maiden's kiss
As long as I get more, more, more!

I sincerely hope I have related
My yearning for this fabled fodder.
And for the record it should be stated,
"Man X" soiled a hot Cape Codder.

Now off to Lou's ere break of dawn
After we get our boozing on!

blog comments powered by Disqus